BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Joie Quarton - President
Eileen Melnychuk - Vice President
Marcella Abrams - Treasurer
Harjit Singh Mavi - Secretary
Kim Brackett - Board Member at Large
Susan Herbrick - Board Member at Large
Jane Maxwell - Board Member at Large
Kathie Murphy - Store Manager
Mayerlin Lima - Store Assistant
Donna Sippel - Support Staff
(as per Application for Incorporation, 22 June 2018)
Our Purposes are:
1) To promote diversion of waste from the landfill and facilitate re-use, repair and re-purposing of used goods.
2) To make affordable donated, used household goods available to Yukoners.
3) To provide training, skills development, and work experience to persons with employment barriers.
4) To support the development of local arts and culture in Yukon by providing a source of donated, used materials to artists and artisans.
5) To promote community integration by encouraging volunteerism and engaging persons with disabilities as an integral component of operations.
6) To educate the public about how to reduce consumption and expenses, how to repair and re-purpose otherwise useless items, the importance of zero waste, and the benefits of an integrated community.
7) To raise funds for Yukon non-profit organizations.
(adopted by the Board of Directors, 25 March 2019)
1) Environmental and financial sustainability. We turn “waste” into wealth.
2) Community building. We create opportunities for those in our community who need them.
3)The passion and commitment of our staff and volunteers. We love to make a difference and see good things happen.
We spark joy in others, whether it be finding that special or needed item at an affordable price, the knowledge that we have reduced the amount of waste in the world, the feeling of belonging and community that brings us together, or the financial contributions we make to other organizations making a difference in our community.
The Whitehorse Community Thrift Store, a self-sustaining social enterprise, is a joyful, welcoming, and inclusive place where everyone in the community can:
a) Donate reusable items,
b) Purchase affordable things they can use,
c) Gather, and
d) Make a positive difference in the community.
1) Ensure a strong system of governance is in place, with role clarity for everyone.
2) Provide a positive experience for everyone who helps make the thrift store a success.
3) Cultivate a joyful shopping environment, conducive to maximizing thrift store profits.
4) Share the joy of turning “waste” into wealth.